- Case Law Search
The Metaverse, including cryptoassets, Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs), the blockchain and the marketplaces which facilitate these activities, has garnered much attention in 2021 and 2022. During this time, there has also been a number of cases mainly emanating from the USA. These cases – such as Nike v StockX, Hermes v Jon Rothschild, Miramax v Quentin Tarantino, multiple cases surrounding the Bored Apes Yacht Club to name a few – have raised questions regarding the ownership of NFTs, IP rights in the Metaverse, licensing agreements and the nature of infringements from an IP law perspective. As such, these cases have raised a fresh set of IP-related questions relating to protection, ownership, exploitation and infringement. In parallel, policy makers, have taken note of this emerging technology, with Consultations seeking clarity.
- In this recorded webinar, you will learn about:
- the latest developments relating to cryptoassets and NFTs;
- whether NFTs are recognised as a type of 'property';
- whether NFTs can be 'exhausted'?
- ownership issues surrounding NFTs;
- the role of marketplaces and their liability;
- whether Brexit and blockchain opens new opportunities for this emerging technology; and
- recommendations for the future.
Links of interest:
- Paper from Andrés Caturla "Metaverse and NFTs: business opportunities and IP challenges"
- NFT Zine from Prof. Dinusha Mendis: Demystifying NFTs: From technology to intellectual property