- 5G offers tremendous potential and will undoubtedly transform industry landscapes and consumer life as well as the world economy
- The standard-development process serves the public good, establishing a common foundation for a thriving marketplace
- However, the innovator/implementer divide remains deep - more than 70% of the technical contributions have been submitted by just 10 companies
- Private companies play an essential role in the lengthy development process, from R&D to launch, and make significant investments.
- The numbers highlight why government and regulatory bodies must balance innovation stimulation with IP protection to safeguard the reinvestment cycle